Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I just realized....

....I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been homeschooling for a school term now. My first year, My son, 3rd/4th grade curriculum. I did the research. Checked out different methods. Joined a homeschool group. Created a schedule. Planned out a curriculum. ...and feel like I accomplished nothing this year. We've done field trips, read lots of books, watched movies that were available for the subjects studying, got involved in a science co-op.... When asked what my son learned this year so far, he stated..."nothing". Boy. I've failed. I was really excited about next year a few weeks ago. I found a new curriculum that was pretty much straight classical education. I found a fabulous math program, a really fun looking spelling program, and I love our current history and science programs. I will be embarking upon pre-k next year, and that's pretty intimidating...... "sigh". I dont know if I can do it. Education is so very important to me. I truly enjoy learning. My parents didn't homeschool; we were just expected to make straight A's. I really dont remember them helping me with my schoolwork. Socially, school was hard; I didnt have many friends. When my son started having problems, homeschooling seemed the best option. I could spend time helping him with what he didnt understand. I placed him in an environment where he would be accepted as himself; no need to "try to be like anyone else". He got the opportunity to do lots of extra stuff to help him understand, and he got to meet some pretty awesome kids like himself. But he learned "nothing" this year. To be honest, we struggled all year with the reality that Mommy expects him to do his best - all the time. Sloppy work is not okay. We struggled with the need for him to pay attention....apparently I have not expected that from him before. We struggled with his inability to follow instructions - strangely enough, he seems to have embraced the "if its not comfortable for you, dont do it" mentality at an early age. And I have learned I know nothing about how to encourage children. So where do I go from here? I LOVE homeschooling. I am learning....and I love it. I am sharing a bit of what I love about learning...and he dosent seem to care. Next year, I will have both children to try to teach.....

2 comments:

  1. Your first year is always the worst. Especially if he's been in school before. I started homeschooling my kids right before my eldest started 2nd grade. It was terrible!! However my youngest was 3 at the time and has never known any different and there was never any glitches. He just got older, training never ceased as it was, first was potty training, then counting and letters, now math and reading. It was a very smooth transition. Over the years our schooling became a lifestyle and learning became part of everything we do. It wasn't so much about the textbooks or what the world think they should know but learning to use what they love to help them learn to be a value to the world. Not sure how the posts work, but if possible you are welcome to contact me through my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niki! Our year has ended (with a big sigh of relief!). I have learned a lot...and I am praying next year will be more positive. I also have to start my 4 year old next year.....
      The more I think about it, the more I realize that its "MY' frame of mind that has to change. When I get that down...I think teaching him will be better. I'm taking a break this summer from much of anything...so next year, I hope we both will be refreshed and ready to learn!

      Delete