Monday, September 13, 2010

Converting

So, today I was thinking about converting to Islam. I read an article on CNN.com; it was about a former agnostic that had converted. She said something that really struck a chord with me. She said that after she converted (non pressured, by her own reading and research) she was sitting with another Muslim friend (who was wearing the hijab) at a diner or something, having tea. An individual came up, and saw her with her friend; he greated her friend with the formal Islamic greeting, and looked at her and said "hey, whats up?". She said she took offense to that, becasue the individual did not greet her with the formal greeting, even though she was a Muslim too...then she realized, he could not tell becuase of her appearance. That was the point she decided to wear the hijab.
It got me to thinking.

Okay, honestly, I dont want to convert to Islam. I am strong and sound in my faith, and yet, it got me thinking. When people pass me on the street, what do they see? Does my appearance portray an individual strong in thier Christian faith....or am I dismisssed like "everyone else"? Outside of words, professed belief....what sets Christians apart? I am wondering, is there any way to "make a statement....without saying a word"?

As I write this, a verse pops into my head. "Man looks at the outward appearance, God looks at the heart".

I dont need to wear a hijab, or a bracelet, or anything to profess my faith. I can if I want to (and, I think I will make an honest effort to revamp my closet to express more clearly a woman of modesty) but my heart is what matters.

I'm sure if I get my heart straight, everything else will take care of itself.

:)

2 comments: